Illinois State Council ENA is the professional organization for emergency nurses dedicated to quality patient care, public safety, continuing education, nursing research and promotion of the nursing profession.
Each state council is chartered by the national Emergency Nurses Association to implement its philosophy, objectives and leadership, and to serve as the decision-making body at the state level.
Illinois State Council ENA is comprised of a membership of over 1,500 nurses, and serves its members through the following vision, mission and objectives.
Shaping the future of emergency nursing and emergency care through excellence in leadership, practice, research, education and advocacy.
To provide visionary leadership for emergency nursing and emergency care. This mission encompasses the following values:
- All individuals have a right to quality emergency care delivered with compassion.
- Respect for diversity of patients and colleagues is inherent to emergency nursing practice and emergency care.
- Prevention of illness and injury and promotion of wellness are essential components of emergency nursing practice and emergency care.
- Evidence based practice provides the foundation of emergency nursing.
- Continuing education and professional development are fundamental to emergency nursing practice and emergency care.
- Emergency nursing practice is both independent and collaborative.
- Promote the specialty of emergency nursing in Illinois.
- Work collaboratively with other health related organizations toward the improvement of emergency care within our state.
- Serve as a resource for emergency nursing practice, education and research.
- Educate and advocate for consumers of emergency care.
- Provide a networking structure to address professional emergency nursing issues.
- Promote standards of excellence for emergency nursing practice.
- Identify, monitor and influence legislation that relates to health care and emergency nursing issues in Illinois.
- Improve the professional environment of the emergency nurse through education and public awareness.